2.10.11

Arthur Rackham,

Art by Arthur Rackham

The rainbow inspires metaphor and simile.
Virginia Woolf in To the Lighthouse highlights the
transience of life and Man's mortality through
Mrs Ramsey's thought,

"it was all as ephemeral as a rainbow"

Wordsworth's 1802 poem "My Heart Leaps Up" begins:

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!...

The Newtonian deconstruction of the rainbow
is said to have provoked John Keats to lament
in his 1820 poem "Lamia":

Do not all charms fly
At the mere touch of cold philosophy?
There was an awful rainbow once in heaven:
We know her woof, her texture; she is given
In the dull catalogue of common things.
Philosophy will clip an Angel's wings,
Conquer all mysteries by rule and line,
Empty the haunted air, and gnomed mine –
Unweave a rainbow

READ MORE ABOUT RAINBOWS HERE!!!

yOU ALL

have a

whimsical

sunday!!!

1 opmerking:

Angelsdoor * Penny zei

What a beautiful post Anna... Love the writtings, music and art...
Hope your weekend was a joyful one
Blessings,
Penny